Looking back on 2012 today, I realize that it was the year of maxima: I learned a lot, I moved (myself and sometimes others) a lot, I worked a lot, I found many new friends and I accomplished a lot. It was also the year of premieres: rarely have I tried, started and finished so many new things as in 2012. I’m not trying to impress anyone. Given that I’m always trying to live up to my own expectations, this post is rather aimed at myself as my own documentation of my actions in the past year. These little achievements might be meaningless to the world but are essential to me and my development.
These were some of my personal smaller and bigger milestones along the way:
- January 14th, 2012: Starting the sporting year with the Dietiker Neujahrslauf, I ran its 12.1 km in 56.15 minutes. I finished as 45th overall and 19th in my category. Never have I run this distance as fast in my entire life.
- February 25th, 2012: Beautiful Bremgarten welcomed me on a cold but relatively dry day for the Bremgarter Reusslauf where I ran the11 km in 51.16 minutes to arrive as 148th overall and 55th of my category.
- March 24th, 2012: I ran the picturesque Badener Limmatlauf with its rather challenging elevation profile and its 13.17 km in 1:02.28 to reach an incredible 36th place overall and an even more incredible 15th place in my category.
- April, 2012: April came and with it a very nervous me preparing physically and mentally for my first triathlon, followed by the Zurich marathon a week later. On April 15th, 2012, I swam the 600 indoor meters of the Walliseller Triathlon to get out to an 8 degrees celcius cold and rainy outdoors, bike 15 km and run 4 km. Finishing as 63rd overall and 37th in my category, I came to the conclusion – while struggling to feel my legs during my race after the bike – that triathlon is something entirely different, much more difficult and immensely more interesting to an athlete. A week later, on April 22nd, 2012, I managed to live through a very rainy, windy and chilly Zurich Marathon with a race time of 3:42.39 finishing as 135th overall and 35th in my category.
- May 12th-18th, 2012: With a group of racing bicycle aficionados, I spent a wonderful vacation week in amazing Massa Marittima, Tuscany to drill myself to a better racing bike performance, cycling my first 100 km on Sunday, May 13th, 2012 in a surprisingly good shape and without follow-up pain on the days after. It was my first racing bike experience and my first active vacation of this type (I mean the type where you bike 80-100 km every day).
- June 30th, 2012: After 3 years, 3 months and 3 days of studies, I handed in my MBA dissertation paper, finally freeing myself from the sleepless nights of an extra-occupational education. Although I’m still awaiting my grade (and hence expecting my diploma) which is to be announced by mid-January 2013, I can hardly express my great relief and triumph to have passed this very important finish line.
- July 22nd-29th, 2012: During my dive week at Helengeli in the Maldivian North-Male Atoll, I fell deeply in love with this little paradise and completed a very challenging and adventurous diving course to get the Advanced Open Water Diver certificate from PADI and successfully overcome some of my limits. Learning to navigate under water, dive with a current, deep dive, night dive and improving my peak performance buoyancy, I got to know a whole new world where mantas, dolphins, morays and squids made their sensational appearance while fluorescent plankton set the night sea aglow.
- August 22nd, 2012: I swam 1.5 km across the lake of Zurich for the first time (Seeüberquerung) and got to know the rather tough water outside.
- August 26th, 2012: I finished my first open water triathlon in Uster, swimming 750 meters in Greifensee, biking 20 km and running 5 km. Despite my terrible swimming performance, I enjoyed the fantastic event and great weather exceedingly and finished in 1:31.24 as 156th overall and 81st in my category.
- A foot injury in September lead to my missing of the half-marathon in Greifensee, but I felt more or less fit to dare the Lucerne Marathon on October 28th, 2012 and suffer the polar conditions of a heavy snowstorm that swept over us for hours. I successfully completed my 6th marathon in 3:58.11, arriving as 112th overall and 42nd in my category.
- November 1st, 2012: I happily celebrated a very cool and exciting first year as Senior Consultant at Namics in a truly wonderful team with many inspiring colleagues to learn from.
- December 16th, 2012: I concluded the official sports activities of the year with a not very exceptional Silvesterlauf in Zurich, running the totally overcrowded short distance of 8.6 km in 42:59, finishing as 340th overall and 121st in my category.
- December 20th, 2012: As my own personal Christmas present, I registered for the Ironman 70.3 on June 2nd, 2013 in Rapperswil-Jona and have started training for this next big and thrilling challenge.
I’m very thankful to have learned and grown so much this year. I would like to express my deepest gratitude to my family and friends for caring and supporting me and to all of you out there who inspire and teach me every day (you know who you are).
Wishing you all a marvellous, enjoyable, healthy and successfull new 2013. Make the most of it, dare to dream and reach for the stars!
I believe in you.